Veg Patch

To read the story of my Veg/Flower Patch in chronological order use the links in the Blog Archive

Wednesday 13 June 2012

Its a Red Letter/Spud Day..

Very exciting news. The Duke of York Potatoes are ready and edible.. 

On 6th March I planted my 10 tiny Duke of York seed potato's. They were supposed to take 10 weeks to be ready. After the allotted time had passed, I sought some advice as the plants had not flowered. By this week I was beginning to think they never would and as you saw in the previous post they were no longer looking at their best. 

So on Monday morning between rain shower I went and had a little dig around under one of the plants. There were definitely potato's there so I covered them over and decided to wait for the flowers. 

Now patience is as they say a virtue.. I am not Virtuous, so Tuesday morning, once again dodging showers I decided it was time to dig a couple up and see what they were like.





 Two nice little muddy spuds were quickly dug up, they were a little larger than golf balls. 


And then given a wash and brush up. 


Peeled


Boiled 



Seasoned and a bit of butter added


Mashed


And served


Delicious


 Three small forkfuls each but my first attempt at growing potatoes is declared successful.


So this morning It was down to the patch again and this time with a lot more gusto I dug up two plants and recovered all of these.. 


We have just had them for dinner. I can get used to eating my own food very quickly. I never knew I would get so much pleasure and pride in growing my own.. If you haven't done so, give it a try, Ladies its better even than buying a new pair of shoes, and those that know how many pairs I have, realise that's a pretty big statement from me! 


Finally as they haven't appeared in my last couple of blogs,  a few quick snaps of the animals taken in our few brief hours of sunshine this afternoon. 


Margot was standing like this for ages, don't know why.


Babs and Geri were very comfortable under a bush. 


And Gibson was busy posing as usual.



Finally wishing you all happy sunny weekend ( I Wish, have you seen the weather forecast!) 

3 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you are deriving such a lot of personal satisfaction from your veg patch! I know that I have been known to sashay or frolic when bringing in delightfully fresh produce to the house to be prepped for a meal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you’ve got a nice crop of red potatoes growing! Growing and eating your own food is wonderful. The animals are looking good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that I never peel our home grown potatoes. Glad you have a crop to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete