Veg Patch

To read the story of my Veg/Flower Patch in chronological order use the links in the Blog Archive

Monday 14 January 2013

The first of the year..

My last post, which I have to admit was two weeks ago, was about my chillies and the trial I am involved with. 

Well I planted them on the first of January and left them sitting in the greenhouse in a heated propagator. I went out every day to check them but nothing was happening. Then the other's in the trial started to blog about the seedling's that they had appearing. I was a bit miffed. Why were mine not growing? had I been sent duff seeds. 

After a flurry of emails and tweet's it became apparent that as a chilli newbie, I had made a bit of an error. Even thought they were in a heated propagator, the unheated greenhouse was not the place for them. So a quick trip down the garden and the propagator became resident on the windowsill in the nicely warm spare bedroom. 

It didn't take long, two days later and Hurrah!! the first seedlings of the year popped up. 

One of the Hungarian Yellow Wax and one of the Chilitepin. The second was a bit of a surprise. The blurb sent out with the seeds implied that they are quite difficult to grow and in fact only seem to germinate after they have passed through a birds digestive tract!! Well unless a bird had got to them before I planted them, the closest these have been to a bird, was as they passed the chicken run on the way to the house. 


Today I was pleased to see that one of the Habanero that I bought in Florida has also sprouted. 


In other garden related news, the next round of Seedypenpals is about to begin. I am looking forward to seeing who I get paired up with this time.. 

Finally another first. Gibson's first birthday to be exact. He had a nice day with a cake and lots of treats. We bought him a nice new lead and collar and his first bone. 


Nothing much else to report. The rest of the Uk has snow but not here, thank goodness. 
If you do have snow please take care. Hopefully I will have more to report soon. 

5 comments:

  1. I didn't realise you were a fellow veggy enthusiast. Small world and I see you follow Carl Legge who I have known for a while through Twitter.
    Good-luck with the chilli growing, we are still cropping last years (in heated g.house) but haven't yet got around to sowing this years.
    I'll take your blog as a reminder to get a move on.

    Cheers & good-luck Simon (& Oakley)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon

      Small world indeed. If you are on twitter and follow Carl Legge you should sign up for his seedypenpals scheme. Its great fun.
      If you have looked through the blog you will see it is mostly about the veg but lots of bits about Gibson as well :) I shall have to tell him his brother Oakley has been reading..

      Lorraine

      Delete
  2. Not much snow here. Just some white stuff left on the grass and plants.

    Happy birthday Gibson

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you getting on with what I sent you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all pretty much growing now, I think there are two that havent come up year..

      Delete